Monday, March 16, 2009

Of Buttonholes and Life . . .

Okay, hang on everyone -- I'm going to get philosophical on you!

A couple weeks ago I decided I wanted to make Elizabeth some dresses. I found a simple pattern, and I have lots of fabric lying around that needs to be used. Everything went along pretty well until this morning. On Saturday, I decided to try to finish it, but realized all that was left to do was the buttonholes. Since I don't sew very often, I wasn't very excited about doing buttonholes, but then I remembered that my sewing machine has an automatic buttonhole function, so I set out to learn how to use it. This is like a dream come true -- an easy way to make buttonholes. Several hours and at least 10 false starts later, I only have 2 of 6 buttonholes complete, and one 1/2 done. So much for the automatic buttonhole function making it easier!

Who would guess that such a simple, assuming little "tool" could actually be so complicated?! The problem lies in following the directions EXACTLY. I started off on the right foot, making myself a sample fabric of exactly the same layers as my garment. Then I started off making a sample buttonhole, and it worked great! So I immediately went to the garment and started the process over.... But I had forgotten to turn the page in the instruction book, so I neglected to see that after making each buttonhole, you have to RESET the machine! So, each time I tried to make a buttonhole, it just didn't work -- it just kept doing step 4, I guess. I tried it about 3 times until I looked at the book and discovered my mistake. So I reset the machine and went to try again. But by then, I had run out of bobbin thread, so I had to redo that, and in the process I messed up the carefully aligned foot. So, the next few had a NEW problem -- It kept getting stuck about 1/2 way through the 2nd step. Again, it took me several tries before I decided to look at the instructions again and fix THAT problem.

At this point, I'm pretty proud of myself for being so patient and perservering. Until the next problem, when some glitch with the bobbin thread messes us the next one... and then I decided it was time to take a break for the day :)

It's just like me -- looking for shortcuts in life. Not that shortcuts are always bad, but I tend to want them to be easier, and to require less diligence. I started off pretty good for me, reading the instructions. But it is so easy for me to not read carefully and to assume I've got the basic idea, not realizing how crucial a certain part is...

So today, my buttonholes taught me a lesson. I don't know when I'll get back to them, but every time I put that dress on Elizabeth, I'm sure I'll remember it!
1/2 finished buttonhole on the left, completed one on the right!

No comments: